Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Today


Today is the day I have been dreaming about since I was a little girl.
You know, about the age that girls start fantasizing about their weddings? I began asking my parents to adopt me an older brother. I only had black babydolls.

Today is the day.
And it looks so much different than I ever thought it would.
And I am so glad.

Six years ago we began our international adoption, we began looking into countries and agencies, and praying about where.

We officially began the international adoption process twice, for two different countries.
And here we are, adopting Demetrius Luke Purvis, six years later, from Arapahoe County, he was born less than ten minutes from our home when this all started.

And I am so glad that God has brought us here, the journey was long, and difficult, and I know, it is really just beginning.
But I am overwhelmed with joy this morning as I sit and eat my Banana Nut Crunch cereal and think about where we've been, and where we're at today.

And I can't imagine it any other way.

Today we will gain a son, Tre will gain a brother, Demetrius will gain a Mom and Dad... forever.
And I can't imagine our family without him. I can't imagine myself without him.

He is joy, courage, humor.
He is a protector.
He is gentle and kind.
He is caring, and loving.

And he is ours.
Demetrius Luke Purvis
The protector of his city and healer of his people.


3 comments:

  1. I've got goosebumps (and not because I'm in the cold basement). So happy for D; So happy for you and PaPa; So happy to be a small part of D's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post and a wonderful day. It brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could be there to share in your joy this evening, but the great thing about a joy like this......it lasts forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for your sweet family Amanda! We have been praying for you guys and Super D. How great is our God!

    ReplyDelete