Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Be a Soldier's Angel



So I am a sucker for romantic fiction novels (I try to stick to the Christian one's!) I have recently found an author that I love Karen Kingsbury (http://www.karenkingsbury.com/). Her novels have a way about them, when I am done reading them I am always reevaluating where I am at spiritually, they encourage me to go deeper in my walk with the Lord and somehow they encourage me to be a better person. The reason I am telling you this is because a few weeks ago I finished one of her novels, Ever After. It was a novel about a soldier in the Iraqi war. (I came to find out there is a book before it in a 2 novel series, but I just read this one, and wasn't lost at all!) Anyways, after reading this book I was so filled with patriotism and love for our country. But most of all I was overflowing with gratitude towards our service men and women, and their families. I wanted to find a way that I could encourage them, thank them, and tell them that we are supporting them back here at home, despite what they are hearing on the news. But I had no idea how. Then God gave me a dream about a website I should check out, so I did.

This website offers ways for us , here at home, to support our troops. We signed up for two things:
1. We adopted a soldier, they have a program in which you are assigned a soldier from Iraq. The commitment requires that you write him at least one letter a week and send one package a month.

2. We joined the TLC Team, in which we write injured soldiers notes of encouragement. Each week we get a list of soldier's who have been hurt and whatever information they have about them, then we can choose one or all of them to write little notes of encouragement.
In a way I have felt selfish for living my life over the past few years and not thinking about our soldier's and their families, and the sacrifices they are making for us. I think it is so important that we do everything we can to encourage and uplift them, in prayer, and in physical need. A note of encouragement, a thank you, a card that makes them smile means the world to them! (I have especially received great thanks for any homemade goods, like cookies and brownies!) I hope that you might think about joining one of the many team that Soldiers Angels offers, any way that you can support our troops helps in ways you will never know on this side of heaven. No matter what your feelings are on this war, whether you support the decision, whether you support our president or not, I feel it is our duty as free American citizen's to thank our troops for the sacrifices they make for us.
Think about supporting our troops today, see how you can help... http://www.soldiersangels.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment